I had a similar but not identical problem with my 116 SD. My suggestions are
strictly seat o' the pants YMMV, etc.

First, are you certain there is no air getting into the system, for example
is your primer pump in good shape (and does it screw-lock into position
after use, if it's the old style)? This can cause the behaviour you
describe, tho why it would go away when warm baffles the hell out of me.

As to adjusting the idle, my *understanding* of how the idle control works
on the turbodiesels, is that the idle adjustment (the screw on the engine
side of the pump) has to be adjusted in harmony with the rack damper bolt at
the rear end of the pump. I had a devil of a time to get my ex-Kaleb 126 SD
to behave at idle, and it took two or three tries experimenting with
different idle speeds/bolt adjustments to get it just right.

Your indy may not want to touch that bolt. Hell, he may not even know what
it is.

Mac