I have gotten at least 2 loads of bad fuel post Katrina. One was in the truck with the IH DT466. It had a new filter, and I got a few gallons at a small town coop to last until I could get to a truck stop and cheaper fuel. Ended up limping to a NAPA, changed the main filter (again) and that cured it. I think I only put 5 gal in the 50 gal tank.

The other time was last weekend. Started the SDL and it died immediately. It had run fine the day before when i parked it. Cranked and no fire. Cracked a line, and NO fuel. Went to town and bought fuel filters. Changed the primary and blew back into the tank. Ran fine. Still running fine. In each case, I am suspecting algae, but no proof. I didn't tear either filter apart.

This is not counting the poor performance. There are currently noticeable differences in fuel quality and mileage. When the price goes up, they dump water and alcohol or other emulsifier in the tanks to stretch the supply. It happens to both gasoline and Diesel. Same thing happened in 1974/75. I remember tanking up my R75/5 with very expensive premium at a Standard station in Hannibal, MO. Almost immediately, the engine lost so much power I thought something was wrong. Finally decided it was just poor gasoline.