Sent: Monday, November 21, 2005 10:33 AM
Subject: Re: [MBZ] Absolutely pathetic fuel "economy"

This has all been very enlightening.
I checked my tires and noticed that the pressure in the LR was quite low. I topped it off along with the others so let's see if that makes a difference.
If not, then phase two will be checking the odometer for accuracy. (low
hanging fruit)
 On 11/18/05, Marshall Booth <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Marshall Booth wrote:

> Timing chain life is seldom LESS than 200kmi (should about be double
> that if you use Mobil synthetics) unless you don't change the oil when
> it's dirty!
>
> That the speedometer was worked on a few years ago does NOT insure it's
> accuracy now. You need to measure it. A road with mileage markers is
> good, but it's also helpful to know just how far it is to work and back
> (or some other usual route).
>
> Valve adjustment makes only a small difference in fuel economy until
> they get WAY out.
>
> The most common causes of poor fuel economy I've seen reported are poor
> fuel quality, leaky fuel (or return) lines, low tire pressure, slipping
> odometer drive, low engine operating temperature (below 85 deg. C.). > All
> of the other engine factors (valves, injectors, timing, poor
> compression, etc.) will contribute, but they tend to be minor
> contributors and they almost all present other symptoms (rough idle,
> noise, poor starting, etc.).
>
> Marshall

I completely forgot the biggest potential change in fuel economy. When
you change from driving a few hundred miles for every cold start to
driving maybe a few or at most 10 miles for every cold start, fuel
consumption can increase and mileage drop by 30 or more percent.

Marshall
'87 300TD 182Kmi, '84 190D 2.2 229Kmi, '85 190D 2.0 161Kmi, '87 190D 2.5
turbo 237kmi