Loren,

  Thanks for the historical precedent. No wonder they're making so much
money...not really selling us fuel! Like putting saw dust in dog food.

  I'm gonna try the local BP per Dr. Booth's rec. Of course, BP fuel in W. MO
and BP fuel in W. PA may be TOTALLY different...

  Chris

Loren Faeth <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:  I have gotten at least 2 loads of bad
fuel post Katrina.  One was in the
truck with the IH DT466.  It had a new filter, and I got a few gallons at a
small town coop to last until I could get to a truck stop and cheaper
fuel.  Ended up limping to a NAPA, changed the main filter (again) and that
cured it.  I think I only put 5 gal in the 50 gal tank.

The other time was last weekend.  Started the SDL and it died
immediately.  It had run fine the day before when i parked it.  Cranked and
no fire.  Cracked a line, and NO fuel.  Went to town and bought fuel
filters.  Changed the primary and blew back into the tank.  Ran
fine.  Still running fine.  In each case, I am suspecting algae, but no
proof.  I didn't tear either filter apart.

This is not counting the poor performance.  There are currently noticeable
differences in fuel quality and mileage.  When the price goes up, they dump
water and alcohol or other emulsifier in the tanks to stretch the
supply.  It happens to both gasoline and Diesel.  Same thing happened in
1974/75.  I remember tanking up my R75/5 with very expensive premium at a
Standard station in Hannibal, MO.  Almost immediately, the engine lost so
much power I thought something was wrong.  Finally decided it was just poor
gasoline.

At 04:56 PM 11/17/2005, you wrote:
>crappy post Katria fuel and funky odo have been my  pet theories as to why
>my mpgs have gone down recently too (on the SD).  Not cold enough in the
>last couple months for THAT (coldness) to have  effected it.
>
>   Also, the TD (haven't had it long enough to really get a feel for
> it),  does not seem to get great mpg's...makes me think of more crappy fuel...
>
>   Chris

Christopher McCann, Squier Park, Kansas City, Missouri
-2005 Blue Point Siamese, "Rose"
-1987 300TD, 150K, "Rotkäppchen"
-1985 300SD, 209K, "Wulf"
-1976 240D, ?K, "AKP-Wagen" (Alternativen Kraftstoffs Prüfenlastwagen)
-1972 Jacobsen 21" Turbo Vent
-1971 Case 222 Hydrive, 12HP Kohler, 38" deck, Snowcaster, "One Banger"