On this day in 1945 the USS Bush DD-529, launched 27 Oct 1942 sunk after taking hits from 3 kamikaze planes. My uncle was one of few who survived, floating in a life raft for quite some time with dead shipmates.

My uncle is a really cool guy and funny as hell. He was a shop teacher like forever, and took no shit (oops, shouldn't say that should I) from any kid, and set quite a few straight as to how life was and how it worked and how they should behave. My dad mentioned this a time or two, but never any details, and I have never heard my uncle speak of it.

--R