My uncle was aboard the USS Franklin, a carrier in the Pacific, when it was hit by Kamikazes as they were about to launch fully armed planes. The resulting inferno is reported to be the worst of any ship that survived. The brass wanted to sink her, but the captain stayed on, and the crew kept her afloat, and after some time, got her underway again. She eventually made it to the east coast for repairs.

My uncle would never talk about WWII. One time, not too long before his death, He did tell me the name of the ship when I pushed him a little. After he died, my cousins found piles of photos of wreckage, bodies, body parts, generally terrible stuff. With the help of the folks at the library in the naval Air museum at Pensecola, I put a lot of the details together. They even had a copy of a tv show about the Franklin that aired in the 60s when she was scrapped.