The problem with using hydrogen as a fuel is getting that hydrogen free from
the
oxygen so that you can recombine at a later date.  Basically it's exactly the
same problem as electric batteries, you are just moving the polluting part of
the process somewhere else. In addition, all the energy derived from oxidizing
the hydrogen (plus more) is required to split the hydrogen and oxygen apart, so
you have a net energy loss.

Another issue is energy density (How large is the H2 tank required to get the
same amount of BTU's contained in 20 gallons of gasoline?).

I think that the cheapest/easiest source of hydrogen is, unfortunately,
splitting it from some form of hydrocarbons that come from a well.  Less energy
required than splitting H2O apart, but polluting nevertheless and you are still
tied to that hydrocarbon well.  Might as well just burn it and deal with the
pollution.

 Very respectfully,
/s/
Max Dillon
'87 300TD 334k miles (Off with the head!)
'95 E300 283k miles (daily driving duties)
'73 Balboa 20 (High & dry until the head is back on)
Charleston SC