On Fri, Jul 22, 2011 at 12:38 PM, Donald Snook <dsn...@mtsqh.com> wrote:
> Not that I want to start a premium fuel thread (or maybe I do! :) ), but do
> they really require premium?  My indy was very upset with me when I told him
> I always put Premium in the E320.  He said the car doesn't need it. I told
> him the owner's manual says it needs it, Mercedes says it needs it and the
> fuel filler door says premium only.  He says that the car is equipped with a
> knock sensor and is you use 87, the computer will compensate for the lower
> grade and it will run just fine.  I know he is correct that the car has a
> knock sensor and probably the computer will compensate, but is that really
> desireable?  I mean, if it was designed to run on premium do we really want
> to have the computer compensating and lowering performance?  Is it really
> "designed" to run on premium? In other words, is there some detrimental
> effect on the car running 87 all the time and having the performance
> affected?  (by the way, I think I just used both effect and affect correctly
> in a sentence - but not sure).

Not sure why he would be upset, it's your money. :)

My Volvo had a knock sensor, and it was a beater, so I ran some tests.
 I found that 87 would give me about 10% lower mileage.  I didn't
notice performance degradation, even though I know that it must have
had some.

This was back when stations had a 20c delta between regular and
premium, and gas was >$2/gal, so I stayed with premium after that.  It
was also before ethanol, which would maybe add another 10% or so if
you're at one of the no-ethanol-in-premium places.

-Tim