I believe if you take a gasoline engine and raise the compression ratio, you can get better power than with gasoline (but range is still a problem with compressed natural gas)

15-20 years back, Dick Guldstrand was showing drawings of a proposed ultra high performance CNG fueled Corvette GS.

This link mentions it in passing, and implies that CNG Corvettes actually exist:
http://www.autotraderclassics.com/car-article/Jay+Leno%3A+The+Collector-75356.xhtml

G Mann wrote:
I have some experience with that program. About 12 years ago our local
transit system converted several buses to LNG [Liquified Natural Gas] to
join the "clean is green" movement.  The engines ran OK, delivery and fill
systems worked fine, however, power and mileage lost the match.  Total BTU
of LNG vs Diesel equation vs costs to convert, store, fill, and deal with
the whole mess only worked because it was done on a government paid "money
is no object" program.  As soon as the "special money" ran out.... back to
diesel.