Glad to hear the mystery is solved! Curious that you didn't notice any power
loss.

Max

andrew strasfogel <astrasfo...@gmail.com> wrote:

Misdirection play!

My mechanic (actually, his son) heard the screeching noise as i pulled into
the yard and popped the hood to do a visual inspection of....

The TURBOCHARGER! - It's completely shot! No fins left! The noise
originated under the hood at the front of the engine and got transmitted
through the exhaust to the REAR of the car, making me and everyone else in
the car conclude it was somehow the differential. Fake out! Fortunately, I
didn't do any permanent damage to the engine.

These turbos rarely go bad, according to the tech.