On 24/08/2011 10:14 PM, Redghost wrote:
Gump was $120.  I got 60k miles on her, spent $2k, drove 6 years.  He'll of a
lot better investment than some cars.  Will get at least that much as scrap,
and have sold enough parts off her to cover a few tanks of fuel.

Compare that with a nice little 1998 F150 regular cab shortbox 4X4 with a 4.3 V6 and a 5 speed manual transmission.

I bought it for about $12K with about 100K miles on it.

Over the next about 3 or 4 years, we spent about $10K on it and ended up selling it for about $3,500.

Not a good deal in my opinion.

Some of the cost was labour as I had to have a major (clutch replacement) repair in the dead of winter and paid to have it done at a shop. ($3600 or thereabouts). It also had a nice expensive set of tires on it when we sold it so we cannot hold that against it. Tires wear out and we sold the ones that we took off it as they were not worn out. My younger son was driving it and he insisted he had to have bigger better tires on it. He paid for them.

Most of the other stuff was fairly routine like - starter, alternator, ball joints, shocks, brakes, plugs, wires etc. but it still seems like a lot over a short period of time and we only drove it about 45K miles before we sold it. Would have been a lot more if my son had not done much of the later stuff himself. (He was an apprentice then and is now a licenced mechanic.) We had some little plastic clips break on the back of the intake manifold that cause butterfly valves to open and close in the intake manifold. $2 in parts (for the clips) plus whatever it cost for the manifold gaskets BUT 2 days of work to take it apart and put it back together.

Taking a chance here in that I might invite the gods of vehicle breakdowns here but my 2002 F150 Supercrew has been much better. I have had it 5 years or thereabouts. Had about 90K miles when I bought it in 2006 and now has about 150K miles.
Have not spent as much on it.
Brakes, tires, ball joints, plugs, etc.
3 ignition coils but two were might fault for not seeing what caused the first to go out. Axle seals on the rear end more than once but the big cost on that is the synthetic gear lube and it should be changed once in a while anyway.
One power door lock actuator that gave up.
That is about it.

Randy crossing his fingers