On 25/08/2011 12:22 PM, Mitch Haley wrote:
Randy Bennell wrote:

Some of the cost was labour as I had to have a major (clutch replacement) repair in the dead of winter and paid to have it done at a shop. ($3600 or thereabouts).

Wow. I'm thinking $700 parts, $400 labour in the worst case. How does the tab get run up to $3k?

Well, first of all it is a 4X4 so a bit harder to get apart and put back together.
I think it was about half parts and half labour.

Clutch kit, master and slave cylinders for hydraulic clutch (which was why it had to come apart in the first place - slave was leaking and does not come out without full disassembly) , flywheel machined, etc. Plus a couple of other things such as the front drive shaft was getting seized where the slip joint is so it got replaced. Some coolant pipe was dripping as it had pin holes and it is only availble from Ford for something like $200 etc.

These trucks have torsion bars that go into the cross member at the back end of the bar so one cannot pull the cross member unless one wishes to release and remove the torsion bars etc so it makes for a bit of a job to get the tranny and transfer case out. Had to cut the exhaust and reweld it etc. All takes time.

Randy