Once the case was off, I pulled the old crank seal and cleaned up the case, and found damage to the inner surface where the seal is supposed to seal against the case (picture to follow). The are two deep gouges, looks like some knuckle head really mucked it up. Gouges have raised edge and holes. I need to take down the high parts and fill in the low parts, probably use JB Weld.

Good news is the engine should use a lot less oil once it is back on the road.

Max
--

It would be a lot faster/easier to just take off the ridges and wipe it with silicone form a gasket (RTV) before you put the new seal. Used properly, the stuff can fix a lot of ills.