Picture...

Max Dillon <meadedil...@bellsouth.net> wrote:

Finally put some work into my '87 "white whale", which is in the middle of a
head replacement, going on six months....

To recap a little, pulled old cracked head, found some issues with the timing
chain rails and tensioner, decided to pull timing case and replace all the
rails.

Locked the crank, put 27mm socket on the beaker bar, expected a big fight but
the bolt came out very easily.... Pulled the crank damper assembly, found a lot
of RTV on the 3 stacked washers and the big bolt, hmmmm. Front of the engine is
absolutely coated with oil and accumulated dirt, and my independent mechanic
told me years ago the front crank seal needed to be replaced.

Cleaned a lot of the mess off the timing cover area, removed the generator and
its mount, removed vacuum pump, loosened the power steering pump, and then
finally could pull the case.

Once the case was off, I pulled the old crank seal and cleaned up the case, and
found damage to the inner surface where the seal is supposed to seal against
the case (picture to follow). The are two deep gouges, looks like some knuckle
head really mucked it up. Gouges have raised edge and holes. I need to take
down the high parts and fill in the low parts, probably use JB Weld.

Good news is the engine should use a lot less oil once it is back on the road.

Max