On 19/09/2011 2:48 PM, Mitch Haley wrote:
Alex Chamberlain wrote:

That reflects rather badly on Facom.  They're supposed to be the
French (Italian?) equivalent of Mac or Snap-On, absolutely the highest
pro quality (used by Ferrari's pit crews according to Richard Griot),
but if they give you trouble with warranty replacements...

Well, it wasn't really 'warranty trouble', as my entire 1/4" S-K set was in mint condition, but if it were scratched up, the hardware store would have been afraid to accept broken items. My parts manager wanted a 10mm wrench to install a battery she'd sold, so I gave her my S-K 1/4" driver with a 10mm socket on it, figuring there was no way she could damage brass battery screws with that. She told me the handle slipped when she gave it back. Yes, a 135lb girl had turned the plastic screwdriver handle hard enough to spin it on the shank, with her bare hands, and the hardware clerk was somewhat paranoid about exchanging it, although she did eventually decide there was nothing S-K could blame me for.

Just the idea that my 'unconditional lifetime warranty' had suddenly beome unconditional after ten years meant it was another 8-10 years before my next S-K purchase. That S-K flare wrench I bought in the mid-1990s was indeed Snap-On quality for 1/2 the price. You may be correct about Facom upping the quality level of S-K.

Mitch.

They just never expected you to live so long.

Randy