My thinking was that at idle, the coolant flow as well as airflow through the
radiator would be low thus allowing the coolant to get to get warmer.  Under
way, the water pump is circulating coolant more quickly and you have airflow
and fan action cooling the radiator more.

But, sounds like the consensus from folks more knowledgable than I is that the
monovalve is the likely culprit.

Allan