On Sat, Oct 1, 2011 at 6:25 PM, LWB250 <lwb...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> In preparation for the move to a new house, I am struggling with choosing a
> service provider for my internet and cable TV.
> We currently have Brighthouse, and while their service is very good, the
> internet aspect, specifically speed, is not close to FIOS.  I can get a
> better package from FIOS with higher speeds for less than Brighthouse.  That
> makes the decision easy, right?

Can you split the two?  At our house it was cheaper to buy DSL without
anything else, than pay Time Warner the incremental cost for
RoadRunner.  Well, and Time Warner had serious rain fade due to an
ongoing maintenance issue...

We have been streaming-only for a few years now - I have a PlayOn
server set up on a computer downstairs, and PS3s on the televisions.
Our 3Mb pipe is enough for two streams in a pinch, as long as you let
one buffer before you start watching.  I highly recommend it if you're
willing to geek out during the setup, and everything you want to watch
is available on Hulu / Netflix / ESPN / Nick / CBS / MLB / etc.

A couple years ago PlayOn was very much a beta program, but it has
stabilized as video providers have locked down APIs, and I have had
very few complaints (from SWMBO/CWMBI) of late.

Best,
-Tim