Harumph, this is what block heaters are for...

-Curt

Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2011 12:06:10 -0600
From: Randy Bennell <rbenn...@bennell.ca>
To: Mercedes Discussion List <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Subject: Re: [MBZ] A lost cause?

On 14/11/2011 11:22 AM, Michael Canfield wrote:
> There is another way to look at it.  Take a $1500 Benz, put a few hundred
> into making it safe, dependable and nice to ride in and start counting how
> much you save over making car payments and paying higher insurance for the
> newer car.
>
> If a penny saved is a penny earned then I am earning about $600 per month
> by driving a Mercedes.
>
> Mike

I do understand that part as well.
Our winters are such that I cannot or will not drive the toys in the
worst of the weather. My 300D probably would not start anyway when it
gets really cold.
That is why I drive the truck through the winter.
I have been toying with the idea of an older GM (shudder!). Probably
either a Buick Le Sabre from around 2000 which would be relatively cheap
and get fair fuel economy. A bit of a throw away car so run it and then
run away from it. That is one of the reasons for my original post on the
subject. I can be prone to keeping things too long and fixing them
before dumping them which is a money losing proposition.

However, I just saw a listing for a 96 Caprice and have always liked the
look of those too. It is not an Impala SS but still looks pretty smooth.
Again, however, would not really want to make it a winter beater either.

Too many choices and not enough parking spots.

My other toys are less demanding. I have collected several older boats
that await my time and efforts too but at least I don't need them at
this time of the year.

Randy in the frozen north