David wrote:
> I have never bought a new car, or one that is less than 3 years old.

Segue to age of vehicles driven - sorta...
Today, I drive a 1984 240D with clutch - 27 years old.
We drove the rusted 1975 Chevy Nova to the junk yard in 2006 - 31 years old.
When we married in 1974, I purchased a 1965 Chevy - 9 years old.
In 1984 when the family had numerous kids, we drove a 1974 VW
Transporter - 19 years old.
In 1987 when the family still had numerous kids, we drove a 1984 Chevy
diesel van - 4 years old.
I could never have imagined that I would drive a 27 year old car when
I purchased our first car in 1974 - that would have been a 1947 car?
Yet my kids drive a 28 year old 240D - older than they are.
Odd... the older I get, the older the car I drive becomes?  Seems
opposite to what seems practical, but I don't see any cars on the road
today that have any safety advantage to W123.
mao