I'm in this school of thought.  The purchase price of most of my cars is
small enough that it doesn't matter compared to the upkeep and initial
fixing.  Once I am bored with it, let it go.  Normally I get about what I
paid a couple years earlier.  Wife is in the opposite school of thought.
She sees no reason to ever change cars unless the current one becomes so
unpleasant to drive that it is annoying.  Oddly enough - outside of being
totally unreliable, reliability doesn't seem to be an issue to her, just so
long as the unreliability is predictable.  Her rule is Air, Power Steering
and Auto Tranny.  Outside of that anything goes.  Her tolerance for my toys
is high - (good thing) and her only founding automotive principle is that
all payments must be avoided and non running cars are limited to parts to
be removed and the shell\ has to be sent on.

I enjoy tinkering so I get a new old car every couple of years - fix it up
a little here and there - trying to keep it as cheap as possible.  My
communte i about 25K a year so it doesn't take long to get them pretty
reliable, and then I pass them on to someone else.  I'm only on my second
Mercedes and I still own both of them.

Peter