I have been struggling with this question lately also, especially the last two
weekends when I was putting used u-pull transmissions into two different 25+ YO
cars to bring the fleet back up to 4 operational vehicles. Currently the fleet
is this;

1977 240D 413K mi. My daily driver, probably less than $2000 invested to keep
it and it's predecessor '79 240d running since 1995 or so.

1998 Volvo S70 GLT, 180K mi. SWMBO daily driver, total investment of $1900
also, was bought with blown head gasket for $300, Now has blown timing belt
(and bent valves) don't know why belt, WP and tensioners are only 20k mi old.

1985 190E 145K miles, Kid 2 daily driver, just bought this year with bad
transmission, about $1100 invested, runs and drives, haven't even checked tune
yet.

1986 Chevrolet C20 Pickup, 165K miles  Kid 3 daily driver, probably $700
invested.

1983 Volvo 245 Turbo - Somewhere around 300K miles, standby car, don't know how
much invested, probably less than $2000 just did clutch and u-pull OD
transmission for net cost of $165 over the weekend.

1989 Chev G20 conversion van 165K miles, has been down for paint and parts
replacement for 3 years, was SWMBOs daily before it got rear ended. Probably
somewhere around $6000 invested.

Other vehicles that will not be roadworthy in the near future are omitted.

I have never bought a new car, or one that is less than 3 years old.
Most of my former daily drivers go straight to scrap.
I don't count consumables in the total investment, (fluids, tires, licensing,
taxes etc.) only "hard parts"
I live in the pacific NW so rust from below is not an issue (only rust from
above)
I have only taken a car to a shop for someone else to work on 3 times in the
last 15 years.
Jim Cathey inspires me.

I have been asking myself if it is worth it, dollar wise, yes timewise.... I
spend alot of time maintaining this fleet but there is no way I could afford to
have two kids driving any other way. I don't trust newer cars, I bought the S70
with reservations and it served well for two years, and now I have to pull the
damn head again.
When to call it a lost cause? If I had a 240D that needed an engine it would
probably get crushed, just too expensive. but I will spend $1000 on front end
parts on a 123, they can come off and go on the next one. Rust or body work
will cause me to scrap them too, don't have the equipment for that. And then
there is when everyone in the family refuses to drive something.... SWMBO has
done this but the kids haven't figured out that this is an option.

David Liddell
Lynnwood, Wa.
Cheap, and proud of it.