Ignoring the fact the truck has a lot of transmission ratios to
optimize the engine output to the terrain, my 300D turbo would
match the truck if it had a 28 hp (21 kW) engine.

Our one 1000-mile trip with the Albatross (240D automatic) was the
slowest car trip I've ever taken.  That car was underpowered,
probably much like my idealized hybrid would be.  Yet if it had
gotten 60MPG it would have never left my cold dead hands! It was
a nice enough vehicle, just not for me.  Even my '60 Falcon
had more effective power, I blame the transmission.  (OK, the
Unimog trip over Snoqualmie pass was slower, but 100HP and
12000# is not a great combination with a 4-speed tranny!
[Many mogs have 2 granny gears and 4 road gears.  Mine does.])

-- Jim