On 11/24/2011 6:53 PM, Dieselhead wrote:
Some year I need to solder a hot wire to the left light terminal on the 81 240D. I think it has been out the whole time i've had the car. Sounds like I should try stuffing in some alum foil at that time. Can someone elaborate on this? Is it "just roll up a 1" x 1 1/4" square of foil and put it in the hole, then stuff the bulb in" or is there some complex procedure?
On the top of the cluster you will see two channels with covers over them. Carefully Remove the covers using a small flat bladed screwdriver. This will expose the light pipes. You can use Alum Foil or better yet a strip from a Mylar Balloon, I've done both of my 240's one each way. The Mylar works better. Use a drop of Super Glue on each end to secure the mylar or foil to the light pipe. Then use hot glue to secure the covers and change out the bulbs while you are in there. One of the 240's the bulbs were black. Makes a world of difference. SWMBO Stopped complaining she couldn'r read the gauges at night after the mod. Her car got the foil mine got the mylar a few
     months later. She noticed the difference between the two mods.
Mylar baloons can be acquired at Dollar Tree for a buck and you don't have to have the filled. Doesn't what printing the balloon has on it the inside is a shiny silver. If you use foil remember
     to put the shiny side against the pipe.

Russ W.

I have never noticed "light pipes" in the 123 cluster, but it has been 10+ years since I had one out. The 124 and 126 use fiber optics to move light around.

On 110 and 111, I have turned the light down sometimes, but they were always well lit. The 123 is barely lit enough at best. With one light out, you can barely read the speedo, and you have to pull out a flashlight to read the fuel gauge.
On 124 and 126, I leave the light turned up, but always is adequate.