I tried this only to discover that many "mylar" balloons are actually silvered
nylon which doesn't work as well as aluminum foil...

-Curt

Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2011 23:17:21 -0600
From: Russ Williams <rawil...@eatel.net>
To: Mercedes Discussion List <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Subject: Re: [MBZ] W116 electrical gremlins

On 11/24/2011 6:53 PM, Dieselhead wrote:
>  Some year I need to solder a hot wire to the left light terminal on
> the 81 240D.  I think it has been out the whole time i've had the
> car.  Sounds like I should try stuffing in some alum foil at that
> time.  Can someone elaborate on this?  Is it "just roll up a 1" x 1
> 1/4" square of foil and put it in the hole, then stuff the bulb in" or
> is there some complex procedure?
     On the top of the cluster you will see two channels with covers
over them.
      Carefully Remove the covers using a small flat bladed screwdriver.
This will expose the light pipes.
      You can use Alum Foil or better yet a strip from a Mylar Balloon,
I've done both of my 240's one
      each way. The Mylar works better. Use a drop of Super Glue on each
end to secure the mylar or
      foil to the light pipe. Then use hot glue to secure the covers and
change out the bulbs while you are in
      there. One of the 240's the bulbs were black. Makes a world of
difference. SWMBO Stopped complaining
      she couldn'r read the gauges at night after the mod. Her car got
the foil mine got the mylar a few
      months later. She noticed the difference between the two mods.
      Mylar baloons can be acquired at Dollar Tree for a buck  and you
don't have to have the filled.
      Doesn't what printing the balloon has on it the inside is a shiny
silver. If you use foil remember
      to put the shiny side against the pipe.

Russ W.