The current CPU is an AMD Atlhon so I would doubt any Intel would fit? I
really am not into PC building so I don't know.

Guessing that Peter is right and the board is bad, which fried the CPU.
There was some dust on the heat sink but I don't think enough for that
to be the cause, and the heat sink fan works.  As Curt said, this is a
POS computer constructed of whatever commodity components were cheapest
that week.  It's not worth it to me to put a lot of effort into
reviving it.

I have a P4 complete computer on a shelf in the basement, I was going to
just swap his hard drive into it and let him use that as a temporary but
it doesn't have a SATA hard drive connection.

Allan