So now that I know what a popped capacitor looks like, I had another
close look at the motherboard, and I see none that look suspect.  So
perhaps the processor did overheat due to dust or some such.  Or maybe
something else is wrong.  Without video I have no other clues, so any
further attempts at repair would be pure guesswork.

Allan

Dieselhead <126die...@gmail.com> writes:

> The little dells that are essentially a laptop board in a desktop
> housing are famous for bad caps.  The univ here is dumping mostly Dell
> GX270s, although a few 260s still show up.  If you do a search for
> "GX270 bad capacitors"  you will find lots of info about the POS
> dells.  I found this out too late.
>
> POS is not limited to emachines.  HP/compaq and dell have plenty of POS too.
>

>>On Tue, Jan 3, 2012, at 10:47 AM, Dan Penoff wrote:
>>
>>>  If his MB has an AMD CPU, an Intel CPU won't fit the socket, I
>>>  believe.
>>
>>My other sources agree.  I did get to see what a "popped" capacitor
>>looks like though, and it's not exactly what I thought.  Looking at the
>>top of the can, it will appear slightly convex or "popped up," whereas a
>>good one will be flat.  I was looking for an actual split open can or
>>something REALLY obvious, so I might well have missed it.  I'll check
>>again when I get home tonight.
>>
>>Allan
>>--
>>1983 300D