I suspect an issue with the stalk switch, or possibly the contacts in the wiper motor that tell the motor when the arm is in the parked position. I haven't had a chance to consult the service manual, but will be later today.

Gettin' a bit new for me, but on an '86 SL I found that somebody had
kicked the wiper 'relay' and broken it off.  It wouldn't do the
intermittent thing, nor would it park.  But it always did shut
off with the stalk switch.  So, based on _that_ car I'd say that
your problem was the stalk switch, and that a shot of Caig Deoxit
right in the gizzard might do wonders.

(I glued that SL relay back together and bridged the broken traces
with wire and solder.  Worked fine since then.)

-- Jim