Disconnect the battery ground strap... they don't have an independent
power source do they?

In 1986 our SL's have a switching boost power supply and a capacitor
bank to ensure that there is deployment current during a wreck that
might sever the main battery feed.  This stuff is, I believe, integrated
into the controller in later years. It is, also, likely to be discharged
by the time you go to work on the car.  It's only there to handle a
power failure of a matter of seconds at most.

-- Jim