I reloaded a Winders XP on this Compaq thing the guy at the Habitat store gave me, I had the activation code off some other dead box someone else gave me (the guy stripped off the sticker on the Habitat box for some reason). It called home and liked the code, so that was that. Then my son had an old Acer laptop that got corrupted, no recovery disks, I found an image of WinXP Media Center on the tubes (the Acer site said MSFT made them take down their recovery disk image), used that to reinstall the OS, then put in the code that was on the laptop sticker and it was happy. The main issue seems to be if the code is valid. They are still all noodgie about old XP installs, I guess they want you to go buy Win7 or something. I have upgraded my 15yo WinXP off an IBM box I bought back in like 1997, it is like Abe Lincoln's ax with 6 new handles and 4 new heads -- 3 or 4 mobos, 3 or 4 HDs, but it still lives on the original install (or an upgrade I got, I forget which)!

--R