My Dad was a flight engineer in a B-29 based on Guam and later Tinian. It was
outfitted as a photo reconnaissance plane, with a tail gunner and possibly no
automated turrets (not sure about that.)

They flew daytime sorties over Japan and the islands to gather intelligence and
document the results of the previous night's bombing raids.

He said it was noisy and frighteningly cold, and since they normally flew
without escorts, the Japanese left them alone.

This meant that the tail gunner, Gene Nelson, would be all the way in the tail
of the plane, bored out of his mind. To combat the boredom, they played chess
over the intercom....

No ordinance on these birds, just a huge pallet in the bomb bay with very, very
large cameras.

Dan

Sent from my iPhone