I put a hex key socket/impact wrench on the shaft end, and a box end on the nut. Got it up pretty close to 80 ft/lb and stopped when (cheap) allen key in end of shaft began to strip. Think maybe the 4 year old battery is bad since the cell hydrometer readings won't go up after charging a few hours. Getting a new battery this PM.
Thanks,
Gerry

From: "Dieselhead" <126die...@gmail.com>
Yeah, I went through the same thing. The answer was to just put the pulley on and tighten the nut. Your number of 80 is about right. I got mine as tight as i could, and it has been ok.

From: "Allan Streib" <str...@cs.indiana.edu>
I use the rattle-wrench to remove and tighten the alternator pully nut.
I've had one (FLAPS-branded) rebuild come with a keyed shaft; the
Bosch rebuilds don't in my experience.  Doesn't seem to really matter
in practice.
Allan