Okay... So as long as we are musing miscellaneously, Fuel Mileage.  I have
a 1983 300D - This thing is nice good shape bought it right, and a friend
really would like to buy it from me.  I bought it to teach myself about the
Mercedes diesel, and that has been a success.  As I see fuel prices rise, I
am thinking of selling it to him and buying a 240D.  What can I expect for
fuel mileage for a 240D of the same time.  I know it will be super slow -
but it would probably do well on my commute.

My commute is 45 miles each way - rolling country hills with only 2
complete stops.  I drive about 60 MPH.  In my 300D i tend to get right at
about 28 or 29 MPG.  I'm not worried about fun, just economy.  I have a
Miata to deliver some fun during the spring and fall when the weatherr is
perfect.

So - share your thoughts.  The other thing that appeals to me is the manual
climate control in the 240.

Peter