selling [300D] to him and buying a 240D.  What can I expect for
fuel mileage for a 240D of the same time.

You are already doing very well.  The 240D would not do better
unless it was a stickshift, and maybe not even then.

An automatic 240D (we had one) is very un-fun in the acceleration
department.  The words "dangerously slow" tend to come to mind.
One of the few cars I've ever driven that could not keep speed
up some of our highway hills in this State.

My 200D kicked its ass up one side of the street and down the
other, performing nicely and getting substantially better mileage.
Not, lately, better than you're already getting I might add.

If you want to change, fine, but don't do it for mileage!

-- Jim