Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2012 20:38:24 -0400
From: David & Kristin Gilmore <dandkgilm...@frontier.com>
To: mercedes Discussion List <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Subject: [MBZ] OT 12v dc to 120v ac heating element?

      One of you technical guys must know this.

      Say you get your diesel tractor suck in the woods a long way
from the 120 volt ac outlet that would normally power its 800 watt
engine preheater.  Night is coming.   It will be very cold in the
morning when you return with chains, come-a-longs, etc. to extract
the tractor.  Let's say you happen to have a charged 12v car battery
that could carried to the scene.  If the + and - poles of the battery
were wired into the slots of the 120 v ac plug would the heater work
without damaging anything?  Would it warm the engine up in 20 or 30
minutes like it does on 120 v ac?

       I tried researching this on the web but all I get is a lot of
talk about the right size inverter needed.  Would an inverter be
required just to run a resistance element?  Anyone BTDT?  Thanks.

      Dave Gilmore, Cameron WV

      A tremulous descending wail; soft purrs and trills.