In Florida you can transfer plates, so if I was to get stopped out of state I
would just show the registration and explain what I was doing and that the
plates were being transferred upon my return.

I can't imagine that with all the supporting documentation they would impound
the vehicle.

I did get stopped in rural VA doing just that with a 1970 280S and they didn't
bat an eye. And this was with some small town Barney Fife, too.

Are you maybe being a little paranoid?