If I do say so, I think you were being overly cautious to the point of being
excessive.  I'm not piling on here, just saying that from my experience as long
as you had enough supporting documentation to show you were the legal owner of
the car, no out of state cop is going to make a big deal out of it - it's too
much hassle for them, unless you're acting suspicious or doing something you
shouldn't be.

Case in point - when I got pulled over in the 280S, I had a Florida tag that
was propped up in the back window with a rolled up sweatshirt.  It had fallen
down but was still visible from the outside of the car.

Unbeknownst to me, I was traveling on a two lane state highway from Norfolk to
I-95 that was a corridor for drug traffickers, many of which were from - you
guessed it - Florida.

When I got pulled over I turned into a McDonald's parking lot, knowing that if
there was going to be a scene, it wouldn't take place in a crowded public
place.  The two officers came out with guns drawn and asked me to exit the car
with ID and registration.  I did so, but refused to allow them to search the
car or open the trunk, mainly because I knew they had no probable cause (this
was a typical "Terry" stop.)

They were not nice and gave me a bit of a hard time.  I was respectful but
firm, even though they tried the walk away and "Oh by the way" tactic to get me
to say something to give them probable cause. This is where you're free to go
but are asked some apparently innocuous questions, which are no longer a part
of the traffic stop, as you're supposedly doing this willingly.  At that point
they can come back and attempt to claim you gave consent.

"You don't have any drugs in that car, do ya?"  I ignored them, which pissed
them off even more, but I suspect also made them realize I wasn't going to be
cooperative.  At that point they left me alone.

I went in the McDonald's and got a cold beverage, during which the locals who
had watched the confrontation stared at me until I left...

I drove back to Florida without incident.

Interestingly, it seemed strange that they would stop a Florida car that was
heading out of town, rather than in...

Dan