Rick Knoble wrote:

In retrospect, that is probably what I should've done. However, fictitious plates will
get the car impounded "if" you get pulled over. Then the problems increase
exponentially.

The 4matic wagon came home with a plate that expired last December, which was registered to a 2.3-16v until it expired. I assumed that

1. out of state cops wouldn't know the current Michigan plates have a green, not orange, sticker.

2. If I did get pulled over, an expired plate wouldn't be considered criminal misuse of a plate.

2a. A few years ago, a bored cop rolled up behind me at a stop sign, punched my plate into his computer, and decided that my Taurus was the funniest looking Mercedes he'd ever seen. He was a polite enough fellow, even allowed me to drive it home instead of making me tow it, but he actually wrote it up as a misdemeanor criminal citation. The prosecuting attorney dropped it to a civil infraction, and I paid about $100.

Mitch.