'Nother ATTABOY!

Wilton

----- Original Message ----- From: "Dan Penoff" <lwb...@yahoo.com>
To: "Mercedes Discussion List" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Sent: Sunday, April 08, 2012 10:39 AM
Subject: Re: [MBZ] Very Aggravating

Only paper plates in FL are dealer issued and good for 30 days. The dealer is also responsible for collecting all fees at the time of sale, which are forwarded to the DMV for processing.

This can be problematic, as the last car I bought the dealer did not forward the fees in a timely manner and my paper plate expired. I reported this to the DMV, they issued my new plates on the spot since I had a receipt for the fees, and the dealer got a nice $500 fine for holding back my fees.

Ouch!

Dan

Dieselhead <126die...@gmail.com> wrote:

Over the past 20-40 years, the regs have taken a definite slant to
the favor of stealers.  Here, for instance, if you TRADE a car (at
the stealer) they can take your plate off and put it on the "new"
vehicle.  As an individual, you have only a few days to buy a new car
after you sell a car to transfer plates.  It is illegal to move a
plate to a car before the old one is sold.  Makes no difference if is
not being used or if it is junked.  No dice.

The old system was that when you sold a car, you turned the plates in
and got a refund.  It was completely independent of purchasing.  When
you purchased a vehicle, you bought a plate.  clean and simple.

Only stealers can issue a temp paper plate.

In the past, johnny law let you drive a purchase (without plates) as
long as you had a bill of sale within 10 days.  Not sure if that
still is true.

SOME STATES only allow dealers to issue temp tags....

LarryT