Jamie -
I believe that self adjusting is a bit of a misnomer. What happens in that
later box is that there is a spring loaded plunger pushing against the
working piston so if there is some slop you can't feel it. Generally the box
can develop lash between the gear teeth on the working piston and the teeth
on the pitman shaft as well as the relationships between the other internal
parts as well. Adjusting the screw on top of the box reduces the working
piston to pitman shaft lash much like moving the pinion gear closer to the
ring gear in a differential to reduce lash. Some years back I was still
active in the MB club. One of the really good things about our section was
we regularly had a factory tech rep come in to update us on the new products
and allow us to ask service questions. I did happen to ask about steering
box slop and the fellow said it is very rare for the LS90 series box to wear
out. He pretty much said that if one was to follow the manual and reset the
running torques while replacing all the soft parts it would constitute a
rebuild. And yes I remember he seemed to indicate that one had to be sure to
replace the thrust washer on the pitman shaft adjusting screw as well.
Without the set of special tools to hold the various assemblies while
setting the running torque it would be pretty tough to those adjustments, so
if adjusting the lash with the adjusting screw doesn't bring things to a
situation that you can live with then probably the best thing to do is to go
to the bone yard and get a steering box off a lower mileage car. They
typically go for about a picture of Ben Franklin. Make sure that you center
the steering box working piston if you do a swap when you go to mate the
input shaft on the box to the steering shaft coupling. To make a copy of the
116 589 621 00 centering screw I just took the appropriate thread pitch bolt
and turned a point on it with a lathe.

Barry