Seems like the consensus is wipe and install 2003R2.

Two more questions:
1. would it be worth considering an install of linux and then run server 2003R2 as a VM? Or is that just wasting resources? Dell 2650 xeon 2.8 4 gig memory. 2. Has anyone heard of insurance costing more if the business is running open source software?

Not to be a snob, but I wouldn't use Fedora; use CentOS or Debian for a
production server.  Fedora is a test distribution, so while it's as stable
as, say, VistaSP1, it's not quite a real server IMO.

That said, since the user is used to Windows and is otherwise going to be
running Windows, I'd use the 2003 license and never look back.  It is hard
to get an IT guy who knows both Windows and Linux well, and even if you get
it set up at first they will hate you forever - plus they will have to call
you for every little thing, and resent every billable minute.

Now, you could set up 2003 in a VM as the DC (or use an existing external
server if there is one?), and then share the file systems from Linux using
Samba.  From Windows' perspective the Linux box is just another machine in
the domain so you could certainly do redirects.  That setup would be easy
enough to maintain with good performance, but honestly it strikes me as
over-complicated for such a small user base.

You can set up permissions on Linux shares, but once you start into DC/BDC
the Windows servers are really the way to go.

Best,
Tim