On Apr 23, 2012, at 10:04 AM, "G Mann" <g2ma...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Errr... it's possible I lost the plot on this one.. can't find the original
> post.  My apology is that's the case.

You asked. Kind of. Here's the original post.

Rick
Sent from my iPhone.

A. With rumors that Sears will be going into bankruptcy, what will become of
the opportunity to return "broken" hand tools to Sears for an even exchange?
B. I had a Craftsman good quality offset screwdriver (slotted, not philips),
just like this one on Ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Craftsman-Crown-Series-94110-Double-Offset-Screwdriver-CLEAN-/400292779011?pt=Motors_Automotive_Tools&hash=item5d334f1403&vxp=mtr

  One of the four tips broke off while using it. When I brought it back to the
store, all I was offered was one with one tip on each end, something that
looked like it was worth about 50 cents.
  I decided to hold out for an identical one, but I do not know if Craftsman
still makes them. Can I make Sears buy me the one on Ebay?

C. One day about five years ago, I was examining a 7/16 wrench in my tool box.
It surprised me to see "Craftsman" printed on one side and "Made in Japan"
written on the other side. When I         asked the guy at Sears, he merely
shrugged. Incidentally, its been my experience at the Sears store I frequent
that most of the employees know next to nothing about tools, and those who know
something have a limited knowledge, though they do have a good grasp of their
inventory. As a kid, when my father shopped at Sears, I would spend  as much
time as I could in the tool section drooling over the choices.

D. I suppose it only fair to point out that Sears probably gets ripped off by
those of us who, for example, use a normal socket in an impact wrench, knowing
that if it cracks it can be exchanged for a new one.

E. Did you notice that Ace hardware now carries Craftsman tools? I thought they
were exclusive to Sears. I understand Ace will not exchange a tool.

F. Please don't anybody ruin my day by telling me Craftsman tools are now made
in China. They aren't are they?

G. I still have the 1/2" Craftsman socket handle my father used when I was
growing up. That and a three-foot section of pipe made a fine breaker bar. It
never broke or bent.

Jerry
1982 240D
won't mention the other one