I think the rating is related to fuel that has been formulated for
winter use, not the actual fuel temperature. To prevent gelling
components are added to the fuel that lower the BTU rating of the fuel
and thus the HP available to be extracted from it. Though, I can see
by the last line of your post how there could be confusion.

Bob DuPuy
Parrish, FL

I was just looking at the specs for some new small marine diesels, from
Yanmar. I noticed that they list two different horsepower ratings for
different fuel temperature. For example, the engine I was looking at
produces 20 HP with the fuel temp at 25 centigrade and 22 HP with the
fuel temp at 40 centigrade. RPM etc are all equal. This is listed as
"temperature at the inlet of the fuel injection pump."