I think it sounds like you own the right vehicle.  So what if it doesn't
get 40MPG.  The overhead (insurance, registration/taxes, interest,
depreciation, maintenance) of owning a second "economical" car will more
than eat up any fuel savings unless you drive a LOT of miles.

Allan

--
1983 300D
1979 300SD