Ditch Flash player, it eats 95% of CPU time while idle.....

Safari isn't anything to get excited about, either.

Peter

On May 23, 2012, at 4:01 PM, Allan Streib wrote:

Firefox is a pig.  Any reason you are not just using Safari?

Rich Thomas <richthomas79td...@constructivity.net> writes:

I have this iMac, it has 4GB of memory and 4 CPUs and 1 TB drive (half
empty) with a 2TB connected for backups.  The thing runs bog slow
sometimes with the spinning wheel, with Thunderbird, Firefox, maybe a
Preview doc or two, iTunes, and maybe an iChat and something else
running (and Finder, which always seems to run).

I get this idea that this is not how it should be.  I think it is
Firefox that is buggering it, as the system monitor shows FF running
over 1GB of memory usage as time goes on, and varying CPU usage up to
80-90+% sometimes.  Nothing else shows much memory or CPU usage  If I
close FF (and usually I have to do a force quit) and restart it,
reload my session, it seems to be fine for awhile.  Facebook seems to
be the app/page that hangs most, or maybe is causing the problem.  I
can't decide if FF is buggering things, or some pages that are open in
tabs in FF (and FB in particular).  This seems to have become more
prevalent with the latest versions of FF, I am wondering if they are
getting so bloated that they suck up resources way out of proportion
to what they should be.

I also hear the hard drive banging away when FF is running, but it is
not clear why or what it is doing.

Here is what memory usage looks like (with FF shut down)

Free 2.14GB
Wired 430.0 MB
Active 976MB
Inactive 497.2 MB
Used 1.86GB

CPU is showing
%User 0.75
%System 0.50
% Idle 97.38
 385 threads, 68 processes

I'll get some numbers after FF has run awhile

Any thoughts?

--R

1983 300D
1979 300SD