I am not saying ignore, but instead leave it and see if the system
continues to clean itself out.  I have already seen that the cooling system
is getting cleaner by driving it.

It may be dex-cool sludge.  When the thermostat failed and I removed the
radiator cap I had to scoop out orange mud like paste.  It may be that the
mechanic who R/R'd the head saw rusty colored coolant and used Dexcool.
 Does't Dexcool usually leave a stain near external seals?  I haven't seen
any evidence of that.