From: mercedes-boun...@okiebenz.com [mailto:mercedes-boun...@okiebenz.com]
On Behalf Of Brian Toscano
Sent: Saturday, June 02, 2012 1:52 PM
To: Mercedes Discussion List
Subject: Re: [MBZ] Coolant question (related to my Jeep cooling system work)

Last night I drained the coolant from the drain plug on the radiator.  What
came out first was bright green.  After a little bit, it turns rusty brown,
and then turned to dirty coolant.  This was just draining.  Likewise, what
is in the expansion tank is typically rust colored and when I poured clean
water into the heater core, what came out was rust colored.  What I removed
the water pump what I saw was dirty coolant, but the inside of the engine
(outside of the cylinder wall for #1) looks perfectly fine and rust-free.
 It makes me think the coolant does separate as it cools.

The water pump itself looks fine also.  A gasket leak developed on the top
of the pump after I did the first round of flushing.

 What has the most crap buildup are the heater hoses.  The supply and
return to the heater core have a rust buildup inside.  The lower radiator
hose has a large spring in it almost the entire length and that spring
holds a ton of crap.  It makes me wonder where all this rust comes from if
the inside of the engine looks fine.