I grew up, er, spent my first 18yr, in the Fort. Decent enough place at that time I guess, but sadly lacking in anything particularly exciting. Perhaps in the intervening 40 (!!!!) years it has improved, though I have heard it has not, and in fact might have become worse off due to changing demographics of the population, etc. I guess anyplace is what you make it, but I would not expect a lot of stimulation. The surrounding countryside is pleasant enough if you go for flat farms. A bit north of FWA is a lake area with lots of small (and a few a bit larger) lakes, cottages, and such. There are some river impoundments around too. Fishing and boating fun. Indianapolis is not too far away, I am sure there might be a bit more of something desirable there. Chicago too should you want to risk that.

Cultural diversity seemed to be that we had some Jews who lived here and there (and some were my friends in HS), but it was mostly your basic white bread lifestyle, though there was a sizable black population back then (not much mixing at that time), and hispanics were starting to come (and I had a friend whose parents started a Mexican restaurant about the time I left, never got a chance to try it out-- that would have been quite daring!). There were some heavy industries (Intl Harvester, GM built a truck plant but I think it might have closed, electronics) but the economy might have pounded those. A lot of Germans settled in the area back when, still a lot of that influence. Amish are (were) strong north of FWA, they might have spread to other areas as they expand their families/farming activities.

I am planning to go back for my 40th HS reunion in September, will be interesting to see what changes hath wrought. I have not been back in like 25yr, my parents left about then to move back to their home domain in KY so never had much reason to go.

All that said, good luck with your interview, I am sure you will do well and might have the opportunity to try something new. And being around kids and teaching will provide a lot of satisfaction, which will make up for any other shortcomings.

--R