Unicom frequency, all small airports have sort of a "CB" freq you just get on and announce what you are up to. Others are supposed to listen and do the same. Supposed to.

I had a fun afternoon, I believe I had related before, wherein the Air Guard F-100s were practicing IFR in the pattern. I was doing touch and goes with my instructor, and announcing properly under tower control. We were at 1600ft where we were supposed to be. I hear the tower tell an F-100 flight "your traffic is 12 o'clock 1 mile at 1200 you will pass over at 400." My instructor was about 3 milliseconds faster than I was and yanked the throttle back and shoved the wheel into the dash, and a few seconds later 2 F-100s passed over us, right over us, close enough to see the rivets.

We were both rattled and after getting the airplane under control I asked what that was about, meaning the tower FU, and he said "we almost scraped some paint." Uh, yeah. I landed the airplane with no further conversation and as we were taxiing past the terminal building where the tower was, he says "stop here" so I did and he jumps out without a word and was making a very purposeful line toward the building. Hmmm. so I went on over to the ramp and parked the airplane and got it sorted, he shows up about 10min later, still red and very angry. He tells me he chewed out the controllers something fierce, they were clueless as to what had happened. Back then you could just go up to the tower, I used to do that occasionally. I don't think there was ever any sort of incident report made, but it would have been a serious CF, like fatally serious for 3 airplanes and 4 people, had we both not been paying close attention to the radio.

I was 16 at the time, still a bit away from getting my license and had not even been driving that long, that put the fear into me about flying airplanes and paying very very close attention to everything going on around -- situational awareness as he called it. It was a good lesson about a lot of things.

--R