> So then, what would happen to them in case of a rear end
> collision is of no concern.

Huh?  Of course what happens to them in a rear-end collision is
of concern.  But why limit the discussion to only that one kind? What would
happen to them in a T-bone accident?  I suspect they
would be better off in the third seat. Or a head-on?  I'm sure they would
be safer in the rear-facing
seat. What about Rollover? Rear-quarter? Front quarter? Space shuttle
pieces landing on top?  Underwater? So I guess I need to decide which type of
collision I am going to
encounter and then choose the appropriate vehicle.

In a rear end collision in that vehicle the rear hatch is likely to be
crushed forward into the very area occupied by those 3rd seat occupants and
they
would be trapped until the crushed metal was removed.

> Or how they would escape in case of fire?

See previous answe.r

My suburban carries a large quantity of gasoline.  My wagon
carries diesel.  Therefore the danger from fire is _less_ in
the car with the rear-facing seats.

Why bring up your truck? Was this a comparison with it? Not by me.

So what fire are you referring to?  Where?  Caused by what?
Burning what?  And why is the rear hatch not opening?

Because the rear of the car will be crushed. And isn't the fuel tank aft of
the axle under that seat?

What is the scenario where you feel a rear-facing 3rd seat is a
greater danger than a forward facing 3rd seat with regard to a fire?

Previously answered. My argument is that the 3rd row's hazards outweigh any
convenience and it wouldn't make any difference which way it faced.

About ten years ago near here on I-405 one of those longbody Econoline
passenger vans with four rows was caught in a sandwich crash between two semis
and caught fire. Those in the rear were incinerated, alive.

RLE

RLE