Dieselhead wrote:

people are regularly burned to death or worse in modern gassers made by asian and american automakers using in tank electric fuel pumps.

Back in the 1970s, a typical Bosch K-jetronic setup had a fuel pump relay that required a tachometer signal to run. If the engine died from a cut fuel line, the fuel pump would stop within 2 seconds. SAAB also had a rollover switch, if the car flipped upside down, the fuel pump went off and stayed off until you reset or replaced (I forget which) the rollover switch.

I can't imagine any modern car not having those simple safety features, but I can imagine a damaged fuel line spraying gas under pressure while allowing the engine to continue to run.

Mitch.